Monday, July 19, 2010

Faith

I was already waiting when you arrived.

Something about your red sun-damaged face and freckled skin caught my attention.
You looked like you’d been on a worksite all day, maybe had a few beers after work to celebrate the coming long weekend… forget your problems for awhile, forget about the loneliness.

I watched you arguing. I heard your voice rise.Your ginger hair wobbled as your head shook from left to right; I could barely hear your words over the sound of the train entering the tunnel.
Then I heard you clearly “You never had any faith”, you looked directly over your right shoulder staring
“You never had any faith in nothing”, then you shook your head disappointed and hopeless.
But there was no-one by your side.

You glanced at the other passengers and when your back was turned they stole glances at you, and at one another as if you were crazy.
While I kept my eyes on you, while I strained my eyes to see the person who sat next to you, the person who never had any faith in nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment